On Tuesday, Netanyahu met with local Jewish leaders and attended the premiere of an Israel tourism film titled "Israel: The Royal Tour," in which he is featured. The premiere, hosted by the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles, was held at Paramount Pictures studio in Hollywood.
The visit follows meetings in Washington Monday with Secretary of State John Kerry and then President Barack Obama at the White House. Netanyahu and the president discussed the search for an Israeli-Palestinian peace settlement and efforts to curb Iran's nuclear program, the embassy reported.
The Israeli leader will remain in Los Angeles Tuesday night, then travel north to the San Francisco Bay Area Wednesday to meet with Gov. Jerry Brown.The two men plan to sign an agreement to expand cooperation between Israel and California, according to the Israeli consulate in Los Angeles, including in the areas of water conservation, alternative energy, agriculture and cyber security.
Netanyahu then heads to Silicon Valley to visit Apple and WhatsApp, the free messaging service recently bought by Facebook that is widely used in Israel and elsewhere.
Netanyahu will return to Los Angeles Wednesday to attend a gala reception before leaving Thursday.
Los Angeles police have warned motorists to anticipate traffic congestion due to the visit.
Areas to avoid Tuesday
- 405 Freeway and Melrose Avenue from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- 405 Freeway between Wilshire Boulevard and the 105 Freeway, also from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Melrose Avenue between La Cienega Boulevard and Van Ness Avenue from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Areas to avoid Wednesday
- Santa Monica Boulevard between the 405 Freeway and Melrose Avenue from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- 405 Freeway from Wilshire Boulevard to the 105 Freeway, also from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- Santa Monica (10) Freeway between the 405 Freeway and Pacific Coast Highway from 6:30 p.m. to 10:45 p.m.
- Pacific Coast Highway between the 10 Freeway and Malibu Canyon Road from 6:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Areas to avoid Thursday
- Santa Monica Boulevard between the 405 Freeway and Melrose Avenue from 8 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
- Pico Boulevard between Roxbury Drive and Castello Avenue from 8:45 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- 405 Freeway between Wilshire Boulevard and the 105 Freeway from 12:15 p.m. and 12:45 p.m.
The Associated Press and City News Service contributed to this report.