Authorities have not identified the teen, who lives near the school, according to the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department.
The child was playing with his family Thursday at a baseball field on the high school campus when he picked up a plastic bottle and it exploded.
He was rushed to the hospital with minor cut injuries on his chest and arm. He has since been released.
Detectives say evidence recovered on the field suggests the blast was caused by a chemical reaction with dry ice.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.