POMONA, Calif. (KABC) -- So far, 2018 has seen a lot of four-wheeled action at the Pomona Fairplex.
First, the Grand National Roadster Show highlighted stunning hot rods and custom cars. And last weekend, the thrilling NHRA Winternationals drag races made noise and speed.
This weekend, the sprawling home to the Los Angeles County Fair is filled with cars that are for sale. Lots and lots of them, in the Mecum Los Angeles auction.
"We run a car across the auction block every two minutes, non-stop till it's finished. So we are loud, we're exciting, and we're fun," said Dave Magers, vice president of Mecum Auctions.
The variety consigned here is staggering: From cars that could sell for $5,000 to those that could top the $1 million mark. Mecum prides itself on offering a wide range of cars for a wide range of budgets and tastes.
If you have a favorite car from years past, you can pick one up here if you're the high bidder. And it could even pay you back as an investment.
"The collector car market is up about 450 percent over the past 10 years. Not many investments perform that well, but it's also one you can enjoy like artwork," Magers noted.
And it's not just old cars on the block here. How about a super-rare super-car that's essentially new? A 2018 Bugatti Chrion. Its estimated sales price? In excess of $3 million!
But you don't have to be a buyer or seller to have fun here. Mecum expects about 10,000 people through the gates over the two-day sale.
"But of those, maybe 10 percent are actually registered buyers or sellers. The other 90 percent are just coming to see the spectacle, and see a great car show, and see 700 beautiful cars," said Magers.
One thing's for sure: This place is a photography and social media bonanza.
"Absolutely! I've probably already sent about 60 pictures already, and I've only been here about 20 minutes," laughed Rodney Brown. The Oakland resident had never been to a car auction before, and was blown away, pointing his smartphone at car after car as he and his companion roamed the buildings.
If you're into action, auction sponsor Dodge will give you a hot ride in one of their 707-horsepower Hellcats with a professional driver behind the wheel.
Young or old, no matter what your taste, you can find something here to drool over. And maybe even take something home, if you've got the right bid when the gavel falls.
Pomona car auction offers rare, expensive treasures for SoCal fans and collectors