SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- A group of California lawmakers reportedly took a work trip this week to Hawaii amid the ongoing pandemic, just days after the state issued a travel advisory firmly warning against non-essential and out-of-state travel.
The Sacramento Bee reports the unidentified group went for the Independent Voter Project's annual policy conference.
The state travel advisory urges people to stay close to home and, if they do leave California, to self-quarantine for two weeks when they return.
According to The Bee, the chairman and executive director for the Independent Voter Project said about 50 participants are in Hawaii this week, including fewer than 20 legislators from multiple states. He declined to say how many California lawmakers are in attendance but added that both Democrats and Republicans are there.
Gov. Gavin Newsom was criticized last week for attending a birthday celebration at French Laundry in Napa County. The party reportedly had 12 or more people from different households. It's the type of gathering Governor Newsom has been imploring Californians to avoid.
The governor later issued a statement saying, "While our family followed the restaurant's health protocols and took safety precautions, we should have modeled better behavior and not joined the dinner."
RELATED STORIES & VIDEOS:
- Live running updates on presidential election, CA, Bay Area
- Joe Biden is set to become the next president of the US, vowing new direction for divided country
- Watch Kamala Harris' journey to become 1st Black, Asian woman elected to vice presidency
- What next for President Donald Trump after 2020 presidential election?
- How to pronounce Kamala Harris' name and what it means
- Who would replace Sen. Kamala Harris if she becomes vice president?
- Dance parties, celebrations across US as Biden characterized as apparent president-elect
- Joe Biden set to be president: Notable reactions from America, world
- Poll Results: Biden set to be president, how long will it take to unite country?
- Trump faces tough road in getting Supreme Court to intervene in 2020 presidential election results
- How many electoral votes does each state have?
- Here's how presidential transition process works after an election
- Will loser of the 2020 presidential election accept the result and concede?
- CA propositions: Election results for the 2020 ballot measures
- 2020 CA election results by county, propositions, electoral college votes
- Map shows biggest Trump, Biden donors in SF Bay Area
- Map: These Bay Area precincts voted for Donald Trump in 2016
- What is voter suppression?