SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound early Thursday morning after an hourslong standoff with an LAPD SWAT team at an apartment in South Los Angeles, authorities said.
The suspect fired shots into the air and pointed a firearm at officers after they responded about 1 a.m. to a report of a woman being assaulted and gunfire in the area of 62nd and San Pedro streets, according to the Los Angeles Police Department. He then retreated into the home, prompting the evacuation of about two dozen neighbors.
Negotiators attempted to communicate with the man during the 3-1/2-hour incident, the LAPD said. A remote-controlled police robot was seen entering the building, and the SWAT team fired several non-lethal projectiles as the barricade situation continued.
Officers ultimately went into the unit themselves and discovered the gunman deceased, the LAPD said. He was not immediately identified.
"Anytime someone assaults or threatens to assault a police officer, we treat it very highly," said Capt. Michael Rimkunas, a police spokesman. "We take great caution in dealing with individuals that commit crimes like that. So that generated our SWAT response."
Carla Ettima said it was her daughter who had been assaulted by the suspect, whom she described as "a good person."
"I liked him," Ettima said, adding that the man was a father of four. "He seemed OK to me. But now we're not going to see him no more."
Gunman found dead after standoff with SWAT team in South LA, police say
More TOP STORIES News