Carjacking suspect surrenders after wild chase through Los Angeles County

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A carjacking suspect in a slow-speed chase - that turned dangerous at times - surrendered to police following several PIT maneuvers and a tense standoff in Redondo Beach on Wednesday.

According to sheriff's officials, the chase was sparked following a reported carjacking near 68th Street and Central Avenue around 7:40 a.m. in the Florence area in South Los Angeles.

South Gate police officers became involved and chased the suspect through the city's various surface streets as the suspect blew through several red lights in slow speed.

The suspect eventually led police to Playa Del Rey near Los Angeles International Airport, then into El Segundo and Manhattan Beach.

Police officers' first attempt to deploy a spike strip was unsuccessful. It appeared the second and third attempts were able to puncture the suspect's tires, which grew increasingly tattered as the chase continued.

EMBED More News Videos

A police attempted to stop a carjacking suspect by unsuccessfully deploying a spike strip during a chase in Manhattan Beach on Wednesday, March 1, 2017.

As the suspect drove through the narrow roads of Manhattan Beach, area residents were told to stay off the streets for their safety.

The suspect continued to ignore traffic laws and eventually drove into the Hermosa Beach area, then into Redondo Beach. That's where police pulled off a PIT maneuver, spinning the suspect's car around to face the opposite direction.

That didn't stop the suspect, who put the car into reverse and sped away from police.

The suspect's car finally came to a stop along Pacific Coast Highway near Palos Verdes Boulevard after police conducted several more PIT maneuvers. PCH was shut down in both directions in the area due to the police activity.

The suspect appeared to be alone in the vehicle.

Details regarding the initial carjacking incident were scarce, but sheriff's officials said the carjacking victim is OK.

Two armored trucks, along with several patrol cars, surrounded the car while the suspect remained inside the vehicle.

The suspect finally surrendered and stepped out of his vehicle around 11:15 a.m. with his hands behind his head.

SWAT officials took him into custody without further incident.

The suspect, later identified as 27-year-old Carlos Mercado, was a known gang member in Whittier, according to police.

Mercado was booked for carjacking and felony evading. He was held on $175,000 bail.
Copyright © 2019 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.