Hancock fire started by burning candle, fire officials in Chicago say

Flames ripped through an apartment on the 50th floor of the Hancock Center Saturday afternoon.

Fire investigators said Sunday that a burning candle started the flames that ripped through an apartment on the 50th floor of the Hancock Center in Chicago on Saturday

In all, five people received minor injuries, including a Chicago police officer who suffered smoke inhalation when he tried to warn residents about the flames.

More than 100 firefighters and six ambulances arrived at the scene. It took crews about a half hour to put the flames out.

While the homeowner on the 50th floor remained unharmed, her unit was completely gutted by flames. Officials said the fire started in a bedroom at the residence.

The Hancock Center is the city's fourth tallest building in Chicago. The building has 700 private, luxury condominium units, according to the its website.
Related Topics:
building firefireu.s. & worldIllinois
(Copyright ©2018 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.)