Family of 4 homeless after South Los Angeles fire

Firefighters battle a house fire in the 500 block of W. 59th Place in South Los Angeles on Wednesday, Dec. 23, 2015.

A family of four was left homeless this Christmas Eve after a fire heavily damaged their home in South Los Angeles.

The fire broke out inside the three-bedroom, one-story residence in the 500 block of W. 59th Place at about 9:20 p.m. Wednesday night, authorities said.

The residents, including two girls, ages 3 and 4, were able to escape unharmed despite not having working smoke alarms.

"This could have been a deadly blaze," LAFD spokesman Brian Humphrey said.

It took 27 firefighters nine minutes to extinguish the fire, which was caused by a faulty or overloaded electrical extension cord. Damages were estimated at $150,000 to the structure and $50,000 to its contents.

The Red Cross and the California Fire Foundation's SAVE Program is assisting the family who was left temporarily homeless with crisis support and temporary placement assistance.
Related Topics:
firered crossSouth Los AngelesLos Angeles
(Copyright ©2018 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.)