LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The mother of Charly Keunang, the homeless man who was killed by LAPD officers last month on Skid Row, tearfully spoke out Thursday. His family announced they will file a $20 million claim against the city of Los Angeles
She was speaking in her native French and said that she found out her son was killed the same way many others did.
"I witnessed the killing of my son on TV without knowing it was my son. When I was told that it was my son, those images have never left my spirit," said translator and attorney Emmanuel Nsahlai.
On March 1, officers responded to a robbery call on Skid Row in downtown Los Angeles and entered into an altercation with Keunang. A witness at the scene shot cellphone video of the confrontation, including the gunshots that killed him.
LAPD Chief Charlie Beck called the shooting justified and said Keunang had grabbed an officer's holstered gun during the scuffle.
Two of the officers were wearing body cameras, but the video will not be released until after the investigation is complete.
Keunang was released from prison a few months before his death. His family said he had reconnected with them and wanted to return home to Cameroon.
Eyewitness News asked an LAPD spokesperson for comment, but they declined.
Family of homeless man killed by LAPD files $20M claim against Los Angeles
More TOP STORIES News