PARAMOUNT, Calif. (KABC) -- A Southern California Edison worker was electrocuted in Paramount while working to repair storm-damaged power lines on Wednesday.
The Los Angeles County Fire Department said it responded to 15500 California Avenue at about 5:20 p.m. for an electric shock patient.
"He was a troubleman, they're our first responders. They're the ones who go out when there is a service interruption and try to get the lights back on," Steve Conroy with Southern California Edison explained.
An eyewitness told ABC7 there were wet conditions and the man was in a basket crane working.
While working, the man slipped and fell into a power line, according to the eyewitness.
His colleagues worked frantically to try to free the man from the power line, but it was too late.
"We're facing a tragedy this evening. The Edison family is in a tough spot this evening," Conroy said.
Edison said it has hired a contractor crew to continue the cleanup of the area where the worker died so his colleagues don't have to.
Southern California Edison worker electrocuted in Paramount