BOYLE HEIGHTS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Detectives with the Los Angeles Police Department are asking for the public's help to find a man suspected of attempted rape in Boyle Heights last month.
Authorities said around 12:45 a.m. on Sept. 29, a male suspect approached a woman in the 1500 block of 1st Street. The victim, who is in her early 20s, was walking home from work and had just gotten off the Metro.
He followed her down the street to Pecan Street where he then attempted to sexually assault her.
"The video shows him very clearly walking behind our victim. She got a few blocks away from the Metro station. The suspect, from behind, approached her, grabbed her, attempted to touch her," LAPD Detective Steven Juarez said.
The suspect was scared off when a bystander, who heard the woman's screams, ran toward the victim to render help. The suspect was seen fleeing west on 1st Street.
"We feel he lives in the area where this occurred. It's not a very highly-traveled area at that time of the morning. So we think he lives in that vicinity," Juarez said.
He is described as a Hispanic male with a black flat-top style haircut, standing 5 feet 5 inches tall, weighing about 150 pounds. He appears to be young, possibly in his early 20s.
Authorities released surveillance video they hope can help identify the suspect.
Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Lopez with the LAPD Hollenbeck Area Sex Crimes at (323) 342-8997. Tipsters may also call (877) 527-3247 or "Crime Stoppers" at (800) 222-TIPS to remain anonymous. null
LAPD asking for public's help to ID Boyle Heights attempted rape suspect
More TOP STORIES News