Wild chase ends in Bellflower with 1 suspect dead, 1 in custody

BELLFLOWER, Calif. (KABC) -- A wild police chase involving a possible car thief ended with an officer-involved shooting in Bellflower. One suspect was killed and another was taken into custody.

The chase began in Long Beach, where officers received a LoJack hit on a reportedly stolen vehicle out of Los Angeles around 6 a.m.

When officers tried to pull the car over, the suspect hit the gas, and a pursuit ensued.

The driver, who was traveling in a green 2000 Honda Accord, ignored traffic rules, drove at speeds of up to 90 mph, went into oncoming traffic and blew through stop signs in residential areas in multiple cities.

VIDEO: High-speed chase ends in apparent gunfire in Bellflower

EMBED More News Videos

A wild police chase involving a possible car thief ended with apparent gunfire in Bellflower. One suspect was taken into custody and another was pulled from the vehicle.

At one point during the chase, police said a handgun was thrown out the window of the Honda. The gun was recovered in the area of Lakewood Boulevard and Rosecrans Avenue.

The chase ended in Bellflower after the suspect drove into a dead-end cul-de-sac on Foster Road around 6:35 a.m. The suspect turned the vehicle around and began driving toward police cruisers.

That's when an officer-involved shooting occurred.

After several minutes, a male passenger climbed out of the car window and was taken into custody. He was not injured, authorities said.

The driver of the Honda was struck by police gunfire. Paramedics at the scene rendered aid, but the man was pronounced dead, Los Angeles County fire officials confirmed.

Police later identified the deceased driver as Juan Manuel Avilla, 20, of Paramount.

They identified the passenger as David Anthony Luera, 20, of Paramount. He was booked into the Long Beach Jail for being an ex-felon in possession of firearm, and possession of a stolen vehicle. He was being held on $35,000 bail.
Copyright © 2019 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.