Norco house fire: 1 dead after electrical malfunction

KABC logo
Sunday, August 24, 2014
Firefighters battle a fire at a home in Norco on Saturday, Aug. 23, 2014.
Firefighters battle a fire at a home in Norco on Saturday, Aug. 23, 2014.
KABC

NORCO, Calif. (KABC) -- An electrical malfunction caused a deadly house fire in Norco on Saturday, firefighters said.

The fire broke out around 5:15 p.m. at a home behind a commercial building in the 400 block of 6th Street. Firefighters said it started on the porch and extended into the attic and living area.

A passerby said he went into the burning home to try to help.

"I was 12 inches away from him, I mean face to face with him... And I told him come on, let's go and I grabbed him and I started pulling him and he just started screaming, just screaming.. I mean I didn't let go until I couldn't breathe no more," said Tim Reilly.

Firefighters say the person inside the home succumbed to his injuries. A woman who suffered smoke inhalation managed to escape. But another person wasn't able to make it out.

It took firefighters about an hour and a half to put out the fire.