1 dead after LAPD officer-involved shooting in South LA area after car chase

SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A person was killed in an officer-involved shooting Saturday afternoon following a chase in South Los Angeles, police said. Relatives called for justice because they said the victim was a teenager.

Family members said the person killed was named Carnell Snell Jr, also known as CJ. Relatives said Snell was either 17 or 18 years old. Authorities have not confirmed the identity or age of the deceased suspect.

Sgt. Barry Montgomery with the Los Angeles Police Department said shortly before 1 p.m., officers found a car with paper plates they believed was stolen. They attempted a traffic stop near Western Avenue and 106th Street when the car failed to stop and a chase began.

During a press conference, police said a male passenger exited the vehicle near the area. Officers began chasing the suspect, heading eastbound down the 1700 block of 107th Street into the back of a home and a fatal officer-involved shooting occurred.

Authorities did not say what exactly led to the shooting, but no officers were injured. They also said a weapon was found at the scene.

Snell's mother spoke out and said she had just seen her son before receiving the news of his death.

"He was just at my house, and we got a phone call that said the police shot him five times in the back," Monique Morgan said.

Demonstrators demand answers after teen killed in officer-involved shooting
EMBED More News Videos

A group of protesters formed in South Los Angeles following a police shooting that left a teenage boy dead.

Witnesses echoed Morgan's claims, but police have not confirmed the number of shots fired or if the teen was shot in the back.

Snell's cousin also spoke out and said Snell was a good kid who had gotten into some trouble.

"My cousin, he was a little trouble but he was doing good. He was trying to get back into church, he was just being a kid in the neighborhood...it was no reason for the cops to shoot nobody," James Johnson said.

Residents and members of the Black Lives Matter movement began gathering near the parking lot of a strip mall police had tapped off in the area. By the evening, a large crowd had formed, with many people expressing their anger and frustration over the situation.

"The community is traumatized. Immediately traumatized because it happened in this community. So you've got to have a controlled vent - the people have to vent," activist General Jeff said.

At times, demonstrators shouted at officers, demanding answers to what happened to Snell. Officers put on riot gear, putting their face shields down and forming a line in front of protesters between yellow crime tape.

Many held hands and formed a chain, while others expressed their feelings in chalk. Then a short vigil was held for Snell. Toward the end of the night, the group played music and danced in the middle of the street.

Other members of Black Lives Matter headed to Mayor Eric Garcetti's home, writing explicit messages in chalk at the nearby intersection and setting up seats in front of the residence.

The driver involved in the chase fled the scene and he remains outstanding, authorities said.

The investigation was ongoing.
Copyright © 2021 KABC Television, LLC. All rights reserved.