Suspect found dead after hourslong standoff with SWAT team at Beverly Grove home

BEVERLY GROVE, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A suspect was found dead early Thursday morning following an overnight standoff with police at a home in Beverly Grove, authorities said.

The incident began around 4:27 p.m. Wednesday in the 600 block of Edinburgh Avenue, near Melrose Avenue and Crescent Heights.

An LAPD SWAT team arrived on the scene, canvassing the neighborhood and the home where the possibly armed suspect was said to be hiding.

The suspect appeared to be communicating with the FBI through emails. There were reports that there were possible hostages in the home, but authorities did not confirm that information.

In video captured by AIR7 HD, a woman and a small child came to the door of the home SWAT officers were surrounding. The little girl was carried off by one of the SWAT officers and appeared to be placed in the back of a police vehicle.

A neighbor directly across the street said the FBI had raided that same home Tuesday.

"It was a group of probably 10 different guys with FBI emblazoned across their chest and hard hats and guns drawn and they were slamming on the door," Jim Hedges said.

The FBI confirmed to Eyewitness News that a warrant was served at that home, but made no federal arrests.

The neighborhood was placed on lockdown as more than 100 police and emergency vehicles lined Melrose Avenue and the adjacent blocks.

One resident, who was stuck outside while her husband was stuck inside their home, lives just two doors down from the standoff.

"Cops were everywhere and he thought he heard like one gunshot," Keitha Lowrance said.

The normally bustling neighborhood was barren and businesses suffered thousands of dollars in losses.

"We had over 100 reservations for tonight, so we started calling all of our reservations letting them know the situation," said Gerard Bozoghlian, owner of Carlitos Gardel Restaurant.

Around 10:30 p.m., several loud bangs and small explosions were heard coming from the home. The incident continued overnight and ended about 4 a.m. when the suspect was found dead, a Los Angeles Police Department spokesperson said.

The cause of death was not immediately known. Police said no officer-involved shooting occurred. It was unclear if a weapon was recovered at the scene.

The investigation was ongoing.
Copyright © 2020 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.