Officials are urging residents in the northern Los Angeles area to prepare for evacuations - with mandatory orders issued for parts of the San Fernando Valley - as brush fires continue to rage, damaging some homes and threatening others.
Residents who may be ordered to evacuate can pack a "go bag", which should be easy to carry and hold a few essentials you will need once you reach a safe location.
These items are vital for an emergency go bag:
- Water: One gallon per person, per day. A three-day supply is recommended for evacuation. A two-week supply is recommended if you stay in your home. Also, don't forget to provide for your pets
- Non-perishable food: Easy to open and prepare food items are preferable. A three-day supply is recommended for evacuation. A two-week supply is recommended if you stay in your home. Make sure to pack food for your pets
- First aid kit
For a complete list of emergency supplies, click here.
The following evacuation centers are open in response to the fast-moving Saddleridge Fire:
- Granada Hills Recreation Center, located at 16730 Chatsworth St.
- Northridge Recreation is set up at 18300 Lemarsh St., Northridge
- Lanark Recreation Center, 21816 Lanark St.
- Sylmar Recreation Center and Mason Recreation Center were at capacity
The American Red Cross offers the following things to consider in the event of an emergency:
- Pick two places to meet:-Right outside your home, in case of a sudden emergency, such as a fire.-Outside your neighborhood, in case you can't return home. Everyone must know the address and phone number.
- Ask an out-of-state friend to be your "family contact." After a disaster, it's often easier to call long distance. Other family members should call this person and tell them where they are. Everyone must know your contact's phone number.
- Families should develop different methods for communicating during emergency situations, and share their plans, beforehand, with all those who would be worried about their welfare.
For full coverage of the Saddleridge Fire, click here.