University of Southern California students evacuated due to dorm fire likely caused by candle

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Dozens of University of Southern California students had to be evacuated after a fire broke out at a dorm on campus.

The blaze started around 11:15 p.m. on Sunday. Heavy smoke was seen coming from the top floor of a three-story building.

When crews arrived, the campus police department was already helping evacuate about 60 people.

The fire department says a candle is likely to blame.

"If you are going to use candles, be very, very careful as to how close those candles or open flames are going to be to anything that can catch fire - be it drapes, be it bedding, be it a mattress. Please be very, very careful with the use of candles," said Battalion Chief Jaime Moore with the Los Angeles Fire Department.

The fire displaced five students. Fortunately, no one was hurt.
Copyright © 2021 KABC Television, LLC. All rights reserved.