LOS ANGELES (KABC) --A mother spoke out Wednesday in a plea to get the public to come forward with any information that could lead to three men suspected of stabbing her son to death in the Westlake District last year.
Reina Lazo pleaded for help as the Los Angeles Police Department released new surveillance video capturing the last three minutes of her son Oscar Lazo's life.
"Only a mother who has lost a son knows hard it is. I love my kid. I love him so much," she said.
The 23-year-old father is seen entering a liquor store on Beverly Boulevard and Union Place around 10 p.m. on June 23, 2015. The black and white video then shows Lazo looking straight at the three suspects before entering the store. As he leaves, he doesn't get far before the three men attack him, police said.
The unsolved crime has police angry.
"Anybody should be able to walk anywhere in L.A. There is no wrong place, wrong time. What we have here is multiple suspects attacking one, single victim. There was a brief exchange - we don't know what that was," Capt. Jeff Nolte said.
The surveillance video also shows Lazo running away, passing a witness, before the suspects chase him and stab him with an unknown large wooden weapon, police said.
The suspects left in a getaway car described as a 2006-2007 four-door Nissan Altima with dark rims. The LAPD Rampart Area Police Station hopes new images and a $50,000 reward granted by the Los Angeles City Council will prompt witnesses to come forward with tips.
"We need the community to come forward because this could be anyone's son or daughter," Nolte said.