HOUSTON --A bombshell development in the stabbing death of an 11-year-old boy as murder charges are dropped against his suspected killer.
Houston Police said both eyewitness testimony and physical evidence have cleared Che Calhoun of charges in the murder of sixth-grader Josue Flores. Detectives said Calhoun was in Pearland at the time of Flores's murder.
ABC7 sister station KTRK-TV received a copy of the dismissal. It reads, in part, that "probable cause for arrest existed, but defendant has provided alibi to HPD that has been verified."
Calhoun was arrested on Tuesday, a day after Flores's deadly stabbing.
Detectives said Crime Stoppers is now offer a $5,000 reward in hopes of finding Flores's killer.
Police still believe the stabbing was a random act of violence. What they are not certain of is whether they have the actual murder weapon.
The Harris County District Attorney's Office told KTRK-TV that Calhoun is still being charged for assault and evading arrest stemming from an incident on the METRORail line.
Calhoun was allegedly in a fight with another person just blocks from the knife attack location the day before.
METRO police said they used a Taser on Calhoun, who was able to get away.
As he ran, he left behind a backpack with his photo ID inside. That ID, police say, was used to help several witnesses identify Calhoun as 11-year-old Josue Flores's attacker.
At least three people told police that they saw Calhoun running from the spot where Flores had been murdered.
However, what KTRK-TV knows now is that Che Calhoun is no longer a suspect in Flores' death.
The DA's office says, once again, he does still face a charge of assault and evading arrest.