SIMI VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) --MMA fighter Jonathan "War Machine" Koppenhaver was arrested in Simi Valley Friday afternoon for allegedly assaulting a woman in Las Vegas.
Koppenhaver is accused of entering his ex-girlfriend's residence in Las Vegas and assaulting her, resulting in 19 broken bones and a ruptured liver last Friday. He has been a fugitive since the incident last week.
Simi Valley Police said Koppenhaver is a former resident of Simi Valley and a U.S. Marshals investigation revealed he may have been staying in the city.
Koppenhaver was located at the Extended Stay America Hotel at 2498 Stearns Street in Simi Valley and was arrested without incident at 1:45 p.m. Friday.
Police said "a small quantity of cash and some pizza" was found in the hotel room.
U.S. Marshals turned Koppenhaver over to the Simi Valley Police Department for booking on his warrant from Nevada. He was being held at the Ventura County Jail.
Police say Koppenhaver arrived at the residence of Christy Mack, with whom he had a previous relationship, on August 8. He allegedly assaulted Mack's male friend and then assaulted the adult film actress. Las Vegas police officers responded to the incident at 4 a.m. Koppenhaver fled the scene. Mack and the unidentified man sustained severe but non-life-threatening injuries. Mack was hospitalized.
Mack tweeted her account of the night, plus photos (WARNING: Graphic), from her hospital bed on Monday.
While on the run, War Machine tweeted:
- "I'm not a bad guy, I went to surprise my gf, help her set up her show and to give her an engagement ring and ended up fighting for my life."
- "The cops will never give me fair play, never believe me. Still deciding what to do but at the end of the day it's all just heart breaking."
- "I only wish that man hadn't been there and that Christy & I would behappily engaged.I don't know y I'm so cursed.One day truth will come out."
Arrest warrants were issued for the August 8 incident:
- 1 count Battery Resulting in Substantial Bodily Harm
- 1 count Battery By Strangulation
- 2 counts Battery with Substantial Bodily Harm
- 1 count Open and Gross Lewdness
- 1 count Assault with Deadly Weapon
- 1 count Coercion with Use of Force or Threat of Force
Koppenhaver was held without bond Friday on a fugitive warrant.
Jonathan Koppenhaver legally changed his name to "War Machine." He is still on probation from a 2010 fight at a Pacific Beach bar. He pleaded guilty to assault.