Perris torture case: District attorney adds new charges against David, Louise Turpin

EMBED </>More Videos

New charges were added Friday in the case of the Perris couple accused of torturing their children and holding them captive. (KABC)

New charges were added Friday in the case of the Perris couple accused of torturing their children and holding them captive.

David and Louise Turpin, who have pleaded not guilty in the case, appeared in a Riverside courtroom for a conference hearing. They are each being held in lieu of $12 million.

MORE: Outline of accusations against Turpin parents
EMBED More News Videos

Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin revealed horrific details about the 13 siblings who were allegedly held captive by their parents in Perris.



The district attorney on Friday amended the complaint in the case, adding three more charges of abuse against both David and Louise Turpin. Also, one new count of felony assault was added for Louise Turpin.

The husband and wife were arrested in January after their 17-year-old daughter escaped from the family's home, and called 911. Authorities said the house smelled of human waste and evidence of starvation was obvious.

MORE: Support for Perris torture victims pouring in from around the world
EMBED More News Videos

More than $60,000 have been raised for the 13 siblings allegedly held captive by their parents in Perris, and the donations are still pouring in.



The case drew international attention and shocked neighbors who said they rarely saw the couple's children in the neighborhood. Those who saw the children recalled them as thin, pallid and reserved.

According to investigators, the abuse went on for so long that the children's growth was stunted. The couple allegedly shackled the children to furniture as punishment and kept them on a nocturnal schedule.

It is not immediately clear where the children, who range in age from 2 to 29, are now. They were hospitalized immediately after their rescue and since then county authorities have declined to discuss their whereabouts or condition.

MORE: Perris neighbors describe past odd behavior, interactions with family
EMBED More News Videos

The neighbors of the Perris couple accused of keeping their 13 kids restrained in their home said they noticed odd behavior in the past.



Riverside County has obtained a temporary conservatorship for the seven adult siblings, who declined to speak to the media. According to Jack Osborn, the attorney for the adult siblings, they are focused on moving forward.

"They really hope that their identity is not going to be the past but what they are like now and like going forward," Osborn said. "They are articulate, they are warm, they are thoughtful and there's a lot to process for them."

He added that all the children have a "keen sense of right and wrong."

The children are said to be excited to start their new lives and love watching "Harry Potter" and "Star Wars" movies. They also want to learn to swim, cook and love lentil soup.

The siblings are also speaking with each other using Skype since they're in different locations.

PHOTOS: Inside the Texas home where Perris siblings lived years ago


Donations continue to come in for the children and they've even received letters from people as far as Italy. Some of the boys and men are also requiring larger pants sizes, according to Bobby Speigel with the Corona Chamber of Commerce, which means they're gaining some weight back.

Nearly $600,000 have come in for the kids.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Related Topics:
child endangermenttorturechild abuseparents chargedarrestchildrenPerrisRiverside CountyRiverside
(Copyright ©2018 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.)