- Video: 1 killed in rain-related crash in Corona
- Video: Wet roads cause accidents on freeways
- Related: Residents brace for floods, mudslides
- Interactive Map: Local canyons in danger of debris flows
Traffic has been a mess on highway after highway. While mudslides are a major concern during the rain storm, the soaked, slippery roads are yet another.
The driver of a pickup truck was killed after he lost control of his vehicle on the eastbound 91 Freeway. Witnesses say there was light rain at the time of the accident.
According to California Highway Patrol Officer Sylvia Moseley, the truck hit two vehicles, spun out onto the dirt embankment and overturned. The vehicle then struck several parked cars in the parking lot of a 24 Hour Fitness gym and slammed into a tree.
Other accidents Wednesday morning included:
- In Pasadena, a big rig lost control on the westbound 210 connector from the eastbound 134 Freeway, becoming trapped partially on the road and partially on the embankment. CHP said another big rig lost control in the same area.
- On the 110 Freeway, six vehicles were involved in an accident near the Sepulveda Boulevard exit. It is unknown if there were any injuries due to the crash.
- On the northbound 5 Freeway, a big rig jackknifed just north of the Calgrove Boulevard exit, snarling traffic for hours.
CHP officials say all the road trouble is due to high speed.
"The most important thing to do is slow down," said CHP Officer Miguel Luevano. "Increase that following distance in case something does happen in front of you, you have enough space to stop and you're going at a speed that allows you to stop safely without being in an accident yourself."
Officials urge drivers to use these safe driving tips:
- Slow down
- Leave early
- Stay aware of weather and road conditions
- Check windshield wipers
- Turn headlights on
There were 140 crashes Tuesday morning compared to 60 during the same time period last week.
Eyewitness News reporters Jovana Lara, Leo Stallworth and Bob Banfield contributed to this report.
Report Typo |
Send Tip |
Get Alerts | Most Popular
Follow @abc7 on Twitter | Become a fan on Facebook