Woman punched by CHP officer 'feels good' about settlement

Marc Cota-Robles Image
Friday, September 26, 2014
EMBED <>More Videos

A woman shown on video being punched by a California Highway Patrol officer spoke out Thursday, saying she 'feels good' about her $1.5 million settlement.

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A woman shown on video being punched by a California Highway Patrol officer spoke out Thursday, saying she "feels good" about her $1.5 million settlement.

On July 1, Marlene Pinnock was walking barefoot on the 10 Freeway near La Brea Avenue when CHP Officer Daniel Andrew tackled her to the ground and began punching her in the head. The video-taped beating went viral, causing controversy and outrage.

The CHP agreed to the settlement following a nine-hour mediation session on Wednesday. It did not agree to wrongdoing, but rather noted the settlement would save taxpayers money from not going to trial.

"I feel good about the settlement and this chapter can be closed in my life and I can move on," said Pinnock. "I want to thank God, and I want to thank Caree Harper, my lawyer, and the guy who took the video."

The $1.5 million settlement will be placed into two trust accounts for Pinnock to help provide for her long-term care. She is diagnosed with bipolar disorder and had been off of her medication two or three months prior to the confrontation with Andrew.

Pinnock's lawyer said without the videotaped evidence, no one would have believed the beating happened.

"Who would have possibly believed that a peace officer, who's sworn to protect and serve, would've beat her in broad daylight in rush hour traffic on one of the most busy freeways in the state, if not the country," said Harper.

According to the CHP, Andrew will resign. The officer had only been with the CHP in Los Angeles since 2012.

"When this incident occurred, I promised that I would look into it and vowed a swift resolution," CHP Commissioner Joe Farrow said in a statement. "We have worked constructively to reach a settlement agreement that is satisfactory to all parties involved."

Harper, however, demanded more, including a federal civil rights investigation, criminal prosecution and prison time for Andrew. She alleges that when Pinnock was taken to a hospital, staff registered her under a false name and did not notify her family for three days, giving her face time to heal.

Andrew could still face criminal charges because the district attorney's office is still reviewing the case.