Suspect critical after carjacking, chase and hostage situation in Long Beach staff KABC logo
Saturday, January 2, 2016
Suspect critical after carjacking, chase and hostage situation in Long Beach
Two victims were shot and another stabbed when a suspect entered their Long Beach home after crashing a stolen car during a police chase on Friday, Jan. 1, 2016.

LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A suspect carjacked an SUV, crashed, then ran inside a Long Beach home where he stabbed one and shot two others before shooting himself on Friday, officials said.

Los Angeles police officials said an off-duty officer was in pursuit of two suspects inside a Volkswagen Passat for driving erratically on the 105 Freeway.

Authorities said it was later determined the Volkswagen was stolen.

During the chase, one suspect jumped out at 223rd Street and Normandie Avenue and carjacked a Dodge Durango at gunpoint.

Police said the suspect fired several rounds at the driver and passenger of the Dodge.

The suspect pulled the driver out of the car and the passenger jumped out as the suspect left in the SUV, police stated.

The victims in the Dodge were not injured as both the SUV and the Volkswagen went in different directions fleeing the scene.

Police were able to pursue the Dodge that ultimately crashed in Long Beach.

Officials said the suspect driving the Dodge then ran into a home near 33rd Street and Magnolia Avenue where he stabbed the patriarch of the household and shot two sons.

A third son was able to escape through a bathroom window.

The suspect then barricaded himself inside the home as SWAT officers arrived and officials shut down several blocks in the neighborhood.

Officials heard gunshots from inside the home, and when they entered, they said the suspect was found with what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

He is listed in critical condition, according to officials.

The three victims shot inside the home were taken to the hospital and police said they are recovering.

Police said they later found the Volkswagen Passat from the initial pursuit, but the second suspect that was in that vehicle remained at large.