LAKE LOS ANGELES, Calif. (KABC) -- The infamous "Pillowcase Rapist" was released to a house in Lake Los Angeles in the Antelope Valley on Wednesday amid widespread protests and anger in the surrounding community.
Christopher Hubbart, 63, moved into a neighborhood off East Avenue R and 203rd Street in Lake Los Angeles around noon Wednesday. Local residents are outraged.
Hubbart had been housed at Coalinga State Hospital since 1996. He has more than 50 known female victims in Los Angeles, San Bernardino and Riverside counties, as well as in San Francisco and Santa Clara counties in Northern California, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office.
At the time of the attacks, most victims ranged in age from 25 to 35. Hubbart often stalked his victims, entered their homes when they were alone at night, and raped them after placing a pillow case over their heads, the D.A.'s Office said.
Hubbart was arrested and sentenced to state prison several times but raped again each time he was released on parole, the D.A.'s Office said, and Hubbart has admitted to more than 100 rapes and attempted rapes.
In 2013, Santa Clara County Judge Gilbert Brown determined that Hubbart no longer posed a risk of re-offense and ruled that he could be safely housed in the community. Over the objections of the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office, Judge Brown ruled that Hubbart should be placed in Los Angeles County and selected the Lake Los Angeles residence.
Hubbart will wear a 24-hour, seven-day-a-week GPS monitor on his ankle and will be accompanied by security people every time he goes out in public for the first six months to a year of his release. He will be transported to therapy sessions twice a week.
Despite all the safety measures, some residents remain very concerned.
Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey has been at the forefront of trying to prevent Hubbart from being released into the community of Lake Los Angeles.
Residents attended hearings and wrote numerous letters to a Santa Clara County judge pleading to keep Hubbart behind bars.
L.A. County Supervisor Michael Antonovich said in a statement: "Once again, the State's criminal justice system failed to uphold its responsibility to protect the public's safety. The Santa Clara County Judge's decision to dump a convicted serial rapist in our community is dangerous and reckless."
'Pillowcase Rapist' released, moved into Lake Los Angeles house
More TOP STORIES News