LAGUNA BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Investigators say the over-chlorination of a pool at the Pacific Marine Mammal Center that sickened more than a dozen sea lions in April was an accident.
Laguna Beach police said 17 sea lions suffered from corneal ulcerations after swimming in the water.
It was initially believed that someone broke into the facility and dumped large amounts of chlorine into the water filtration system.
After an extensive investigation, police said they learned that an employee accidentally put too much chlorine into the pool. Authorities said the worker was not aware of the mishap or the cause, and there was no criminal intent.
Officials said all 17 sea lions have since recovered from their injuries.