LAPD chases attempted-murder suspect for 2 hours, in 2 different vehicles through Los Angeles staff KABC logo
Friday, April 7, 2023
LAPD chases attempted-murder suspect for 2 hours
EMBED <>More Videos

An attempted murder suspect and several accomplices fled LAPD officers at high speeds for nearly two hours and in two different vehicles.

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- In a dangerous and long chase through the streets of Los Angeles, an attempted murder suspect and several accomplices fled LAPD officers at high speeds for nearly two hours and in two different vehicles Friday.

The chase started in a pickup truck. After the wheel was damaged, the suspect jumped into a friend's waiting vehicle and continued fleeing recklessly through Los Angeles.

The pursuit started shortly after noon Friday when LAPD's Southeast Division began chasing a silver Chevrolet four-door pickup truck in the San Pedro area.

Police believed an attempted murder suspect was in the back seat of the truck.

The truck had visible damage to its front bumper, apparently from a collision during the chase.

Full chase coverage:

Later in the chase it appeared the front right tire had gone flat and fallen off, possibly from a spike strip. The truck continued driving at high speeds on the rim. A short time after that, the wheel bent at an angle, partially broke off and dragged sideways along the ground as the truck continued to drive.

The truck mostly stuck to the Westchester and Inglewood areas near Los Angeles International Airport as it continued to flee. At one point it briefly pulled into the LAX terminal area and then returned to surface streets.

With the damaged wheel dragging on the ground at a sideways angle, the truck came up to traffic backed up at a light and rammed several cars to squeeze through.

On Century Boulevard in South Los Angeles, several suspects jumped out of the damaged vehicle.

The attempted murder suspect ran to a waiting SUV driven by his friends, police say, and the chase resumed.

Several suspects in a Chevy pickup truck fled from LAPD for nearly an hour before jumping out of their disabled vehicle and continuing in an SUV.

Two women who were with the suspect in the pickup tried to run away on foot but were quickly detained.

The chase continued at high speeds in the new vehicle, a gray four-door Mazda SUV. There were two people visible in the front seat, a male passenger and female driver.

It continued for nearly another hour, at first sticking to the same part of Los Angeles but eventually winding up in West Carson.

At one point, the two suspects, a man and woman, jumped out of the moving truck, which had a damaged rear wheel, and fled on foot. After a short foot chase, officers took them both into custody.

In total four people were in custody and no serious injuries were reported.