Record turnout as thousands participate in Susan G. Komen Race for The Cure

Sunday, March 13, 2016
Thousands participate in Susan G. Komen Race for The Cure
Thousands hit the streets to help battle breast cancer at the Susan G. Komen Race for The Cure at Dodger Stadium.

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- It was an early start for runners at Dodger Stadium as thousands of athletes participated in the 20th annual Susan G. Komen's Los Angeles County Race for The Cure on Saturday.

Runners took off at 8:30 a.m. all in an effort to raise money and awareness for breast cancer programs.

"My motto is I had breast cancer, but breast cancer didn't have me," breast cancer survivor Bertha Holt of Inglewood said.

Michelle Brown, a three-time cancer survivor, said the disease has affected many close to her.

"At the time I got diagnosed, we'd already lost 13 women in our family to this disease and we still knew nothing about it," Brown said.

Brown's family travels from all across the country to join her once a year at the Race for the Cure. Her brother Darrell Grace even showed up dressed in a tutu to show his support.

"Our motto is, 'Men are not too proud to wear tutus,'" Grace said.

Following the races, breast cancer survivors told stories and live musical performances were enjoyed along with food.

The Susan G. Komen Race for The Cure is the largest and most successful education and fundraising event for breast cancer.

The money raised before and during the event will go toward breast cancer research, education, and treatment. Officials said Susan G. Komen's Los Angeles County invests 75 percent of the money raised to local breast health services, and the remaining 25 percent to national research to help find a cure.