TORRANCE, Calif. (KABC) -- Workers and customers of a beloved neighborhood restaurant in Torrance are in shock after the business burned down early Monday.
Texas Loosey's bar and grill was gutted by flames around 2 a.m. Monday. No injuries were reported and firefighters were able to get the flames out before they spread to adjacent businesses in the strip mall.
But the destruction is an emotional loss for local residents, who have been not just eating at the restaurant for decades but holding gatherings and building memories there.
"This is a Torrance landmark," said local resident Maria Monroe. "A historic neighborhood Torrance landmark."
"The neighbors would get together and have family dinners. Lots of stories through the years."
Marcel Melanson said when he was in high school some 30 years ago, school teams would meet at the restaurant to eat before big games.
"It was that for the neighborhood," Melanson said. "It was a community establishment, it was a meeting place. It was more than just a bar or restaurant."
The owner of Texas Loosey's is asking other business owners in the area to help by hiring his staff who are now out of work.
It's still unclear how the fire started.
A candlelight vigil is being planned for Friday at 6 p.m.