LOS ANGELES (KABC) --The San Diego Chargers, Oakland Raiders and St. Louis Rams each submitted to the National Football League applications to relocate to Los Angeles, the NFL confirmed Monday night.
The NFL issued a statement saying the applications will be reviewed this week by league staff and committees that will meet in New York on Wednesday and Thursday.
The applications will be presented for consideration at a league meeting in Houston on Jan. 12-13.
The Chargers team said in a statement issued around 7 p.m. that the decision comes after it tried for 14 years to "create a world-class stadium experience for fans in San Diego," but despite those efforts, there was no actionable solution to the stadium problems they've had.
In turn, San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer posted a statement on Twitter saying the announcement comes as no surprise to him as "the more San Diego has done, the less engaged the Chargers have become."
My statement on the Chargers filing for relocation: pic.twitter.com/0KNXwcJiX3— Kevin Faulconer (@Kevin_Faulconer) January 5, 2016
The Chargers said they have pledged to respect whatever decision the league ownership makes.
The Oakland Raiders posted a statement on their website which read in part: "In accordance with the relocation policies, the Oakland Raiders submitted a relocation package to the NFL. The matter is now in the hands of the NFL's owners."
The St. Louis Rams also spoke of the application on its website, where the team mentioned the relocation "would be effective for the 2016 NFL League Year."
The Rams had already begun working on a potential stadium site in Inglewood. The league reportedly wants a $550 million relocation fee from any team that moves.
The Raiders and Chargers were joining forces for a stadium in Carson. Oakland was barely putting up a fight to keep the silver and black.
The relocation of a franchise requires the affirmative vote of three-quarters of the NFL clubs, which would be 24 of the 32.