• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Infant burned in barbecue accident in Anaheim

January 17, 2011 12:00:00 AM PST
A 6-month-old child was in critical, but stable condition at a burn ward Monday after being seriously burned in a barbecue accident in Anaheim.The incident happened at an apartment complex in the 1100 block of North Onondaga Avenue about 2:30 p.m.

The infant's uncle, 33-year-old Miguel Angel Tellez, allegedly used a milk jug full of gasoline to try to light his barbecue. He was arrested on felony charges of child endangerment and unlawfully causing a fire.

When he threw fuel on the fire, it exploded, setting the jug on fire and spewing flames on the baby girl, who was sitting in her stroller a few feet away.

Firefighters got the call and rushed to the scene.

"She had burns in her legs, approximately 21 percent, possibly second-degree burns," said Anaheim Batt. Chief Tim Butler.

Tellez was held on $100,000 bail.

Despite her critical injuries, authorities said the girl will survive.

Load Comments