The odor was reported around 9:30 p.m. Monday at the Brookvale International Corporation property on the 20900 block of South Maciel Avenue, where several businesses are held. Hazmat crews rushed to the scene.
Some workers were treated for burning throats and noses. Of the 70 employees who were evacuated, 12 were taken to area hospitals, but they were not admitted.
Authorities said Solvay Chemicals was the source of the sulfuric acid leak. Sulfuric acid is used to make batteries, among other products. It is unclear if the company will be fined.
Los Angeles County Fire cleared the scene by about 1:30 a.m. Officials with the Carson Sheriff's Department said Solvay was cleared to resume operations.