Inglewood shooting: Suspect surrenders; 2 hostages safe


Authorities say two police officers responded to a call of a man beating a 14-year-old girl in the 10700 block of 5th Avenue just after noon. The 911 caller said the man grabbed the girl and took her inside the house.

When officers arrived, police say the suspect began to shoot. As more officers got there, the suspect, who police say has a criminal record, yelled out the window that he was willing to die for his crime. As cops moved in, the gun battle intensified. The incident was all caught on camera by neighbors.

A male officer was struck in the chest, but his chest protector saved his life, police said. He was conscious and talking when Inglewood police transported him to Centinela Hospital in Inglewood.

"He's got a significant injury to his chest, but he does not have a penetrating gunshot wound. This is incredibly good news," said Inglewood Police Capt. James Madia. "Our prayers have been answered, and I think in some respects, maybe we got lucky today."

A female officer suffered a minor injury when she fell trying to help the other officer. She was taken to Centinela Hospital as a precaution.

"The female officer began running back down the avenue. She collapsed in front of us on 5th Avenue, and they slung her over the shoulder like a sack and took her out," said witness Kimberly Edwards.

Both officers are 10-year veterans of the police department. The female officer was discharged from Centinela Hospital, and the male officer was transferred to Harbor-UCLA Medical Center for treatment.

Police said the gunman was holding two female hostages. One of them was the suspect's girlfriend and the other was her daughter. The hostage's brother, who only wanted to be identified as "Matt," told Eyewitness News he got a call at work that his sister and niece were being held hostage.

Matt says his nephew called 911 as he managed to escape from the home. His 42-year-old sister and 14-year-old niece were trapped inside. Relatives say the suspect was facing a third strike and didn't want to return to jail.

Authorities say the suspect called police several times, but when negotiators tried to talk to him, he hung up. He finally surrendered around 9:30 p.m.

The neighborhood was on lockdown and police surrounded the area during the long standoff.

Copyright © 2021 KABC-TV. All Rights Reserved.