Monterey Park house in pack-rat conditions catches fire

One person was transported to an area hospital following an early morning house fire in Monterey Park on Tuesday, May 5, 2015. (KABC)

One person was transported to an area hospital following an early morning fire at a Monterey Park home, which was described to be in pack-rat conditions.

The flames erupted around 1:20 a.m. in the 800 block of Hershey Avenue.

According to Capt. Matt Hallock with the Monterey Park Fire Department, one individual was transported to Garfield Medical Center to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters searched the house after getting reports that someone was missing, but they didn't find anybody in the house.

Hallock said the blaze was caused by an unattended candle and that a mentally challenged adult male lives in the home.
Related Topics:
house fireMonterey ParkLos Angeles County