BOSTON -- Brock Holt is back, batting sixth and playing left field for the Boston Red Sox against the Los Angeles Angels at Fenway Park on Friday. He had been on the disabled list with a concussion since May 20.
Despite lingering symptoms, including occasional lightheadedness, Holt felt good enough to return following a rehab assignment with Triple-A Pawtucket. He also said he is taking a migraine medication, likely for the rest of the season.
Holt, who worked with Pittsburgh-based concussion specialist Dr. Micky Collins throughout the ordeal, said there is no danger in returning to action while not 100 percent healthy.
"That's part of the rehab, playing in games and seeing how certain things affect me," Holt said. "I felt pretty good in rehab games. Seeing the ball pretty good, putting together some good at-bats. I felt comfortable enough to make this next step."
According to manager John Farrell, Holt will mostly stick to left field but will not play every day. The plan is to start him against right-handers Jhoulys Chacin (Friday) and Matt Shoemaker (Sunday) this weekend.
"Beyond that, we'll continue to monitor his availability and check him every day," Farrell said.
And so ends, for now, what has been a difficult period for Holt, who has suffered at least two concussions in his career, the other coming toward the end of the 2014 season.
"It's been real frustrating. It's been a tough thing to go through because physically I felt great," Holt said. "I feel like I could've played, but just from my neck up, my head, I knew something wasn't right. It was frustrating because I didn't think it would take as long as it took. Some days I would feel pretty good and the next day I wouldn't."
Holt's presence is a welcomed one for the Red Sox, from the left-handed bat to his defensive versatility to the energy he brings to the bench.
"One of our more instinctual baserunners. He's demonstrated it repeatedly, puts up quality at-bats, particularly against right-handed pitching. Plays with high energy," Farrell said. "To get a guy back to us that is familiar with our surroundings, had success here, it's a positive for us."
The Red Sox optioned infielder Mike Miller to Pawtucket to make room for Holt on the 25-man roster. Miller had one at-bat in three games since his call-up this week.