FREEHOLD, New Jersey -- Video shows a woman's purse appearing to spontaneously catch fire inside a mall in central New Jersey last weekend.
The incident happened at the Freehold Raceway Mall Sunday.
Mara McInerney told WABC-TV in New York that she placed her handbag on the counter when she walked up to the register. Moments later, smoke started pouring out of the purse.
WATCH THE VIDEO HERE:
McInerney said it was the spare battery she had for her vaping device, but wasn't attached to it at the time.
Startled, McInerney knocked the bag off the counter. Others came running over to see what happened.
Everything inside her bag was either melted or burned.
McInerney said she's sharing the video and her story because she wants to highlight possible dangers with these devices and show it can happen to anyone.