LOS ANGELES --As a way to help himself heal from back surgery, Charles Fleming took up a walking regimen that led him to explore the stairways of Los Angeles. He not only walked the stairs, he mapped them and counted them for his new book "Secret Stairs: A Walking Guide to the Historic Staircases of Los Angeles." Eyewitness News reporter Lori Corbin talked with Fleming about the history of these hidden stairways and with trainer Mike Donavanik about ways to use stairs to step up your fitness program.
Eye on L.A. visited stairways at:
- Los Feliz-Griffith Park Loop (Glendower Ave/N. Catalina St)
- Echo Park-Lake Victorians (Glendale Blvd/Bellevue Ave)
- Santa Monica-Rustic Canyon Loop (4th St/Adelaide Dr and Entrada Dr/Attilla Rd)
- Pasadena-La Loma (La Loma Rd/Cheviotdale Dr)
- Silverlake-Circles (Sunset Blvd/Descanso Dr)
To learn more about L.A.'s historic stairways or to buy the book, Secret Stairs, visit: www.charlesfleming.com.