• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Cigarette may be culprit behind Ventura house fire

A discarded cigarette was likely to blame for a fire under a building in Ventura on Saturday, Feb. 4, 2012.

February 5, 2012 12:00:00 AM PST
A discarded cigarette was likely to blame for a fire under a building in Ventura.

Officials say a cigarette that wasn't put out entirely got blown underneath the structure located on the 700 block of Jazmin Avenue and likely sparked at about 11 a.m. Saturday.

Firefighters cut through the floor and put out the fire, but it still caused about $10,000 worth of damage.

The fire department is reminding people to make sure cigarettes are completely put out before throwing them away.


Load Comments