• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Boyle Heights hit-and-run: $50,000 reward offered

A $50,000 reward is being offered for information on a hit-and-run driver who killed a man in Boyle Heights.
April 1, 2014 11:57:22 AM PDT
A $50,000 reward is being offered to anyone with information leading to the conviction of a hit-and-run driver who killed a man crossing a street in Boyle Heights, authorities announced Tuesday.

"We're just asking for anyone who might know of anything to please come forward," daughter Kunya Nix said. "This could have been a mother and child crossing the street. It could have been your parent."

Edward Nix, 54, was killed four days before his 55th birthday, family members said. About two months ago, Nix was crossing south on Orem Street in a marked crosswalk when he was struck by a red Honda CRV or Odyssey traveling east on Olympic Boulevard shortly before 6 p.m.

Surveillance video caught the accident, but police have so far hit a dead end in the investigation.

"We've exhausted all of our leads at this point," Los Angeles City Councilman Jose Huizar said. "I would hate to see this case be unsolved."

Nix walked with a cane due to injuries suffered by being hit by a car a decade ago, family members said. The family is outraged someone could keep driving.

"He was just very playful, always laughing, always joking," Kunya Nix said. "It would give my family closure if the person (responsible) just came forward."

Anyone with information about this incident was asked to call police at (877) LAPD-24-7.


Load Comments