• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Cops on leave after Universal City shooting

March 30, 2010 12:00:00 AM PDT
Tuesday, new details surfaced about the attempted murder suspect who led police on Monday's dangerous pursuit. The two Burbank Police officers involved in Monday's shooting were placed on leave while they were under investigation, a standard practice with any officer-involved shooting.

The Burbank Police Department and the L.A. County District Attorney's office are investigating. They will determine if Monday's pursuit that ended in gunfire followed procedure and whether the officers' actions were within department guidelines.

The suspect was identified as 30-year-old Steven Satterly from Wabash, Indiana. He's wanted on a charge of attempted murder in Indiana.

The chase started Monday afternoon shortly after 4 p.m. in the Cajon Pass in San Bernardino County.

The California Highway Patrol said Satterly reached speeds of up to 100 miles per hour during the chase that stretched from the westbound 210 Freeway into the North Hollywood/Burbank area.

Burbank Police picked up the chase once Satterly exited the 134 Freeway and drove an older model gray Chevrolet Blazer through North Hollywood and Burbank. Satterly got stuck in traffic on Barham Blvd. just east of the 101 Fwy. Surrounded by officers as he tried to speed away, one officer fired his gun at the vehicle, shattering the driver's side window. Satterly was not struck by this shot.

Satterly bailed out of his vehicle at the entrance to Universal CityWalk a few minutes later. He allegedly brandished a knife at police, whereupon another shot was fired, this one striking Satterly in the torso. He was quickly taken into custody and rushed to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in stable condition.

"We know from the information received that he committed a felony, a violent crime," said Burbank Police Sergeant Robert Quesada. "We cannot allow him to just flee. And especially going toward CityWalk, where there are thousands of people."

The two officers have been temporarily removed from patrol as the department investigates. The department is also concerned about the welfare of the two officers.

"It is a traumatic experience," said Quesada. "Even though the officers weren't shot, it's still a traumatic experience. So we want to make sure that we care for them, make sure that they're OK to go back onto duty, to go back out onto the streets to serve the public."

The shooting investigation can take from several months to a year.