The Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act (Senate Bill 183) states the detectors must be installed on or before July 1, 2011, in single-family dwelling units.
All other dwelling units, such as apartments or multi-family dwellings, have until July 1, 2013, to comply.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced from heaters, fireplaces, furnaces and many types of appliances and cooking devices, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. The gas can be fatal.
According to the department, nine in 10 California households did not have a carbon monoxide detector.