- If it's not overturned, California will become the first state to allow transgender students to choose which restroom they use and whether to play on girls or boys sports teams.
- Eleven new gun measures kick in, including restrictions on the ability of mentally ill people to possess firearms.
- Teen drivers will be banned from texting while driving, even with hands-free devices.
- The minimum wage will go up to $9 an hour starting in July. It's the first of two dollar-an-hour boosts that will push the base minimum wage to $10 by 2016, making it one of the nation's highest minimums.
-L.A.'s single-use carryout bag ordinance, which took effect Wednesday, means large grocers, drug stores, even "big box" stores will no longer offer plastic bags for purchases.
- Any photographer caught harassing celebrities and their children could face up to a year in jail and a fine of up to $10,000.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.