LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities identified a gunman suspected of killing one man and wounding another at a law firm in Long Beach.
John Alexander Mendoza, 58, of Redondo Beach, was identified as the shooter. Police said shortly before 2:30 p.m. Friday, Mendoza opened fire at a law office in the 300 block of East San Antonio Drive.
When officers arrived at the scene, they found two men dead from gunshot wounds and learned a third man who had been shot took himself to the hospital prior to their arrival.
Authorities said the suspect and victims appeared to all be employees at the Law Offices of Perona, Langer, Beck, Serbin, Mendoza and Harrison.
During the investigation, authorities learned that Mendoza reportedly shot 75-year-old Major Langer in the torso. Langer was pronounced dead at the scene. At some point, Mendoza also reportedly shot 68-year-old Ronald Beck in the torso and lower body.
Mendoza then turned the gun on himself, police said, and the weapon was recovered at the scene.
Beck was able to take himself to the hospital and is listed in stable condition. He is expected to survive.
Authorities said several employees were in the office when the shooting occurred, but none of them were injured.
On Saturday, Todd Harrison, one of the partners of the law firm, released the following statement:
A motive for the shooting was unclear. The investigation, which is being looked into as a workplace violence incident, is ongoing.
Anyone with more information was urged to call Long Beach Police homicide detectives Donald Goodman and Mark Mattia at (562) 570-7244. Anonymous tips may be submitted to Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-8477.