San Diego Zoo wildlife care specialist hospitalized after bitten by venomous African Bush Viper snake

SAN DIEGO (KABC) -- A wildlife care specialist at the San Diego Zoo was hospitalized after being bitten a venomous snake.

Officials say the worker was caring for an African Bush Viper in a non-public area of the zoo on Monday when it happened.

Bush viper venom is hemotoxic, which means it can destroy red blood cells and disrupt blood clotting and potentially cause organ or tissue damage.

There is currently no antivenin for bush vipers, but there are some therapies that have been successful in treating the bites.



MORE | Dad drops daughter during escape from charging elephant at San Diego Zoo
EMBED More News Videos

Harrowing video shows a father dropping his 2-year-old daughter after he carried her into an elephant habitat at the San Diego Zoo and the elephant charged toward them.

Copyright © 2021 KABC Television, LLC. All rights reserved.