• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Baldwin Village car chase leaves two dead

Nine people were injured in the crash
June 14, 2008 12:00:00 AM PDT
A 22-year-old Inglewood man suspected of causing a traffic accident that killed two people and critically injured a third, and then leaving the scene, was arrested today on suspicion of felony hit-and-run, police said. German Maximo was allegedly driving a black 2000 Jaguar about 11:15 p.m. Friday, south on South La Brea Avenue after having turned off Westhaven Street, when the Jaguar went into the northbound lanes and struck a gray Mitsubishi Gallant, killing two of its four occupants.

The driver of the Gallant suffered non-life-threatening injuries, but another occupant was critically injured.

"The motorist of the Jaguar fled the scene without rendering aid or identifying himself -- as required by law," a South Traffic Bureau officer said. "The primary cause of the collision was that the driver of the Jaguar failed to operate his car on the right half of the roadway."

Maximo was arrested about 6 a.m. at his home in the 500 block of Hyde Park Boulevard, said Los Angeles Police Officer April Harding.

He was booked on suspicion of felony hit-and-run and was being held in lieu of $50,000 bail, she said.

Three other vehicles were also involved in the crash, but the occupants in those vehicles were uninjured.

No information was available on a passenger who had been in the Jaguar.

The crash occurred about a quarter-mile south of the Santa Monica (10) Freeway, between Adams and Jefferson boulevards.

 

Click here for more headlines from ABC7 Eyewitness News


Load Comments