Production of "Two and a Half Men" has been placed on hiatus in light of Sheen's decision to enter rehab, CBS announced.
"We are profoundly concerned for his health and well-being, and support his decision," network officials said in a statement released Friday.
Sheen was released from Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles Thursday night after being taken by ambulance earlier in the day for severe abdominal pains, publicist Stan Rosenfield said.
An unidentified woman called 911 from Sheen's Sherman Oaks home early Thursday morning, saying he was having severe stomach pains from a hernia condition. The 45-year-old actor has had a history of hernia problems, according to Rosenfield.
Paramedics transported Sheen to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, and Martin Sheen, was seen at the hospital to check on his son.
This incident is Sheen's third visit to a hospital in as many months and is the latest chapter in Sheen's wild ways.
"Two and a Half Men" is currently on hiatus, but was scheduled to resume production on Tuesday. Just last week, network officials from CBS said they "have a high level of concern about Sheen's off-camera behavior."
"There have been some reports on the more tabloid sites about some very hard partying that Charlie Sheen has been doing," said Kim Masters of the Hollywood Reporter.
Twice in 2010, Sheen's Mercedes-Benz was allegedly stolen out of his garage and found at the bottom of a ravine near his home.
Last fall, Sheen was rushed to a New York City hospital after authorities found him naked and disoriented at the Plaza Hotel New York. A pornography actress later accused the sitcom star of attacking her in that hotel room.
In 2009, Sheen faced assault charges in Aspen, Colo., after a dispute with his wife, Brooke Mueller.
Sheen's "Two and a Half Men" co-star Jon Cryer appeared on Conan O'Brien's TV talk show on Wednesday night, saying strange things seem to happen to Sheen.