• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Boy saves mom, brother from house fire

A North Carolina boy's quick thinking saved his disabled mother and little brother when their trailer caught on fire.

February 23, 2011 12:00:00 AM PST
A young North Carolina boy is being called a hero for saving his disabled mother and little brother during a fire.

After smelling smoke, 11-year-old Justin Ward woke his brother and got his mother into her wheelchair.

"I told my mom, she got in her wheelchair, and I pushed her down the ramp," Justin said. "I couldn't just leave her there."

Within seconds the trailer was engulfed in flames. Justin said he doesn't feel like a hero; he just acted on instinct.

Justin wants to be a firefighter, just like his father. The family lost everything, but thanks to Justin they're still alive.

"He always knows to, if anything happens, get us out, and that's what he's done," said Terri Ward, Justin's mother.

"If he wouldn't have woken me up and the fire broke in, I'd be dead," said Jamie Ward, Justin's little brother.

Fire investigators said a broken electric fence sparked the fire.