It's rare when a new student is a convicted sex offender. But that's exactly what happened at Yucca Valley High School, when 18-year-old Steven Holt started classes last week.
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department can't say exactly what his crimes were, but reportedly there were a number of sexual assaults. And there were several victims: some as old as 15; others as young as 6.
"I think it's horrible. I don't know why he's allowed to come to the school," said parent Mike Dorame. "I mean, sounds like he's got numerous occasions of doing what he's doing. I don't know, it just seems like he should be somewhere else other than where my daughter's hanging out."
Parents found out Tuesday night when they got a letter in the mail from the school district with the student's name and age, but no picture.
This might not be an issue for long. Late Wednesday afternoon, there was word that the student's family is taking him out of classes at the school. According to the law, they didn't have to.
"Just because he's a sex offender doesn't mean that he can't attend school," said Cindy Bachman, spokeswoman for the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Dept. "The law says that a registered sex offender cannot be on school grounds unless they have lawful business there, and Steven Holt has lawful business here."
But it's unlikely that Holt will attend Yucca Valley High School. It was unclear where he'll go next.