• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Hundreds march in Long Beach against domestic violence

October 21, 2011 12:00:00 AM PDT
About 300 people marched in Long Beach on Friday night to remember victims and honor survivors of domestic violence.

Holding candles and signs and chanting "No excuse for domestic abuse," the crowd included mothers, fathers, daughters, sons and friends. Many have seen abuse end in tragedy.

"I've had two friends, actually, murdered by their mates," said Anita Mouton, the daughter of a woman who survived an abusive relationship.

It was in conjunction with National Domestic Violence Awareness Month. They also paid tribute to the victims of the Seal Beach massacre.

The fatal shooting at a hair salon in the Orange County city that left eight people dead has deeply affected the community.

Accused gunman Scott Dekraai is the ex-husband of one of the women who died. In court documents, his former wife said he was abusive during their marriage.

The names of the victims were read during the vigil.

An average of three women die every day in the United States due to domestic violence.

In the last year, more than 40 people in Los Angeles County were killed by their spouses or partners.

"Unfortunately, the numbers seem to grow," said Tu Lynn Smylie, the executive director of the Women's Shelter of Long Beach. "Now, when batters are killing their victims they're also taking out other people."

Many of those who marched said they want to bring awareness to the problem and support other women so they can find the strength to survive.

Load Comments