• BREAKING NEWS ABC shows live and on-demand -- Download the WATCH ABC app!

Man killed after being struck by 2 cars in OC

January 29, 2012 12:00:00 AM PST
A pedestrian in Santa Ana was killed after being struck by two hit-and-run drivers, who are still at large.

The incident happened about 8:30 p.m. Saturday in the 400 block of South Broadway.

Witnesses said the man, 55-year-old Jose Diaz, was acting erratic and crossed the street outside of the sidewalk. They said that's when he was struck by a pickup truck going north.

Diaz then landed on the southbound side and was hit again by another vehicle.

"The first vehicle was a white Chevy truck, unknown on the year. The second vehicle was a green Ford Mustang convertible with a black top. Approximate year on that would be 1996 to 2000," said Santa Ana Police Department Sgt. Sandra Gatt.

The Chevy truck and the Ford Mustang both fled the scene.

Police said Diaz may have been intoxicated at the time.

"There is evidence that leads the collision investigators to believe he was intoxicated," said Santa Ana police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna. "What that evidence is, I don't know."

So far, no arrests have been made.

Diaz was a Vietnam veteran.

The family Diaz lived with said he would often cross Broadway to go to the store

"We love him. My children are very, very sad, and very, very mad," said Marcelo Cruz, a family friend.

Andrew Patalsky, a neighbor of Diaz, remembers him as someone everyone loved and cared for.

"He was a funny guy, everyone like him," Patalsky said. "He was a good guy."

Bertagna said if the drivers had stayed, they may have not been at fault because Diaz wasn't in a crosswalk. But now both drivers could face serious charges.

"What you are supposed to do is stop and render aid, stick around and I.D. yourself to authorities, those are things you are supposed to do," Bertagna said.

Anyone with information on this case is urged to contact the Santa Ana Police Department at (714) 245-8463.


Load Comments